Monday, February 28, 2011

Driving

I travel to Kenai (an hour and forty-five minutes away) and Seward (three and a half hours away) several times a month. As long as the weather is good, I enjoy the drives. I always see my share of bald eagles, bunnies and moose. Often, I will be the only car in sight for miles and miles. I definitely find myself forgetting the phenomenon of traffic. When I visit a city I am jolted back into the reality that not only do millions of other people exist, but sometimes they all coexist in one tiny area. I often crave cities: hearing languages, seeing people of color, having more than five restaurants to choose from. Traffic, however, is one thing I have never missed. Five restaurants may not sound like a lot, but when I visit the city of Kenai, I find myself giving thanks that I live in Homer, for the food selection (among many other things). Other than a strand of bad food chains, Kenai has one cafe at which I will eat. And I eat there every single time. (Veronica's Cafe, pictured below)
The cafe is surrounded by a couple of old Russian Orthodox churches, which I find adorable.



1 comment:

  1. Wow those churches are beautiful. And Veronica's Cafe is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete